|Remove||Item||Quantity × Price|
|Your cart is empty|
"David by Michelangelo." Orig. Signed Photograph, October 1979, Hasselblad 500 C/M, 70mm Ektachrome
“David by Michelangelo." Awestruck facial expressions tell the story of those in our group of tourists as we approached Michelangelo's 17 foot masterful sculpture, a feat he accomplished between 1501 and 1504.
David was originally commissioned as one of a series of statues of prophets to be positioned along a roofline of the Florence Cathedral. However, as the piece was so much bigger than life and so symbolic of how the Republic of Florence felt as it dealt with powerful rival states and powerful families, like the Medicis, it was placed near the entrance of the government offices in the Palazzo Vecchio. Three-hundred and sixty-nine years later, David was moved inside to its current site in the Galleria dell' Accademia.
The second photograph included here is for reference so that viewers can get a sense of what the visitor experiences entering the Galleria. That wider view of the Galleria is also available for purchase on another page of this site.
This is the uncropped version page for ordering prints.
Please note that the best composition for the David photograph requires it to be full frame and not cropped. However, we have made it available in both versions -- a cropped version for fitting standard frame sizes, and the uncropped version has non-standard sizes. This is the uncropped version page for ordering prints.